Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Entry #1: Preparations for Peru

Wednesday Dec 9, 2009

So I've never done one of these blogs and I have no idea who will even follow this but I thought why not just write one so that people can read up on my volunteering in Peru! I'm leaving Saturday morning for Lima, connections in Miami, only to arrive at the Lima airport and wait for the rest of my group in the airport foodcourt. Our departing flight to Ayacucho leaves at 4:30 am - awesome - then getting to Ayacucho, Peru and seeing our home for the next 4 weeks.

As you - who ever you are - know I will be volunteering my time and energy in Ayacucho, Peru. But what most of you don't know is that I was placed working in a women's prison - is that a joke. Hence the name Peruvian Penitentiary PenPal. . . I will be working with the women and the children of the prison, helping them with arts and crafts, keeping the children entertained but most importantly teaching/helping the women create crafts to sell in the markets so they know the legal way to make a living. Drug trafficking is the main reason the women are in the prison. I am nervous but more than excited about helping these women and children have a better, LEGAL life.

I will write on this blog as often as possible so that people can follow and see how life in the prison is treating me! Comment if you'd like, if not I hope I can entertain you with some stories from my adventures!!

Until next time,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment