Saturday, December 26, 2009

Entry #6, Papa Noel!!

How do I describe the indescribable? I guess I'll just tell you everything we did on the days surrounding Navidad! On the 23rd we started to create cards for the prisoners (elderly men, 60 and above, the kiddies and their mothers) we were part of Santa's or Papa Noel's staff! We had to make over 160 Christmas cards with various sayings in them and for the elderly men and the kiddies we personalized them! It was actually a really great time between all of us volunteers! Our common room was like a red, green and white explosion! Colors everywhere! Then we made over 10 bags of colored popcorn to be passed out between all of the prisoners! It was awesome when we got there, we had everyone come to the Cuna, cradle in spanish, which is where all the kids go to play with the other kids when they want to get some kid on kid time! Everyone sat in a circle and we passed out the food and then one of the elder men had brought his violin and he played some music for us! Then the oldest of the elders, Roberto, read a poem/blessing to us about how much we've touched his life because even during such a family oriented holiday, his had forgotten about him, and had for a few years now. He also sang us a song, this little cute 87 year-old-man singing in his high voice, in the midst of the chaos of the prison his voice brought a moment of peace - very moving to say the least! Then we had beanie babies for all the ninos, so those were distributed. Then everyone sang Feliz Navidad! Ha it was great!

After that we went back to our house to eat lunch, and then we slip into two groups, one went to an elders home and the other went to help out at an after-school program Non-Profit called Kids at the Crossroads. This woman GiGi quit her job, sold her house and moved from Oregon to start this amazing program! Kids from all over the area come to her house to participate in an after school program which is where the kids basically have a period of a second schooling. It was an amazing program to participate in because GiGi said that the teachers of the local schools have asked kids where they've been getting extra help because she's made such an impression on their education! The kids played games and she feeds them a snack, always consisting of a protien, starch and veggie! Most of these kids don't come from good families so they depend on this program. I'd say from what I observed that a good 75% of them come on their own free will because they love it! There were between 120-130 kids in the backyard of her home. She also teaches the kids about hygiene and the importance of small things that we take for granted in our every day lives. I hope to go back to help her out at least 3 times a week next week at the after school program!

On actual christmas we went to the orphanage. The normally don't want volunteers to come to the orphanage because they don't want to get the hopes up of the kids, but since Amelia and I had been there before they allowed us to go! It was amazing, the kids not only recognized me from before but attacked everyone with their love! The kids only wanted to be loved and payed attention to which was what we could give them. The little boys were a little nuts at the beginning all hyped up on their christmas presents from Papa Noel - donations from people, I hope to start a donation service for these kids for clothes and toys when I get back. But just running around with their plastic bags so happy for the smallest gifts! They kept screaming MIRA MI ROPA GRINGA ( to those who are like WHAT i can't believe they called you Gringa - EVERYONE does - it's not offensive or anything, i'll be in the market and people will just call at me gringita (small gringa) But enough about that, it was hysterical to watch this little kids! We all went outside to join the rest of the kids, and everyone was showing their new toys or wearing their new clothes! I've never seen kids so gracious in my life, it was truly wonderful to see! Then there was Melissa. She was telling me she was feeling a little sick so when we were standing in the middle of the courtyard I was scratching her back like my mom used to do to me and she actually fell asleep STANDING. I didn't know that was possible, but it honestly just melted my heart. Then we went to sit down and she just curled up in my lap and passed out for a while. When it was time to go she cried and asked if I could come back tomorrow - I couldn't but I will be back next Wednesday, so hopefully she'll be there.

Xmas dinner we made breakfast for dinner, it was awesome! We told the cook and cleaning staff that they could have the day off to be with their families, and it's a good thing because Paulina our cook had a baby boy last night!! We're so happy for her, I think we're going to make her something! He's christmas miracle hahah It was very strange to be away from family and friends christmas, but I was able to Skype with my wonderful friends and family from home, thank you for that!!! Kara especially - who yelled at me for not giving her this blog address, hopefully she'll read this and be grateful for the personal shout out I'm giving her! Love ya girl!! I hope that everyone had a very enjoyable christmas with their family and or friends! I encourage everyone to give back a little this year, you can change someone's life, whether a 87 year-old prisoner or a small orphan girl, it makes you feel wonderful! Little steps go along way, that's the lesson I've learned thus far!

sorry for the deep stuff at the end, ha, I can't wait to share some pictures of the kiddies and everything else!
Until next time!
Heath

No comments:

Post a Comment